Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A long week ahead....

Hello All!!
Looks like this is going to be kind of a different post this week. I don't really have any pictures to post, however, I can update you on things that are going on in our lives. As most of you know, I have been working in St. George at the NICU since Mid-June. It has and continues to be a wonderful experience. I love working with the newborns. I have kind of a unique new perspective on life, and death for that matter. As a NICU Nurse, I have the privilage of attending births. We are called to care specifically for the baby. Where the Mom has the Labor Nurse, our job is the baby. I have seen many good and bad outcomes in the short time I have been working here. The birth process is amazing, pretty gross if you break it down, but truely amazing. To see a woman at her most vulnerable moment in life, where "nature" takes over, and to see a child born, and then all of the emotions culminate into one moment... wow... get my drift? I see the relief on parents faces when the baby is doing well, I also see the panic of the parent when the baby isn't quite ready to enter the world as well. I know of the adrenaline rush that occurs as a baby is born, and the even greater spike when it doesn't start breathing, or has complications after it does. While resusitating an infant, not much goes through your head, other than what you have been taught to do, the infant becomes a small machine, that must be fixed at all costs. Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Intubation, Intravenous fluid administration, Medications, incubators, Vital sign monitors, and all other medical procedures that are able to be performed on these children are at the NICU teams fingertips. What amazing things we can do, and lives we can save, just through advances in modern medicine. I can't help but praise God for the miracles I have seen. I have to say though....not one machine, or procedure can take top marks compared to what I have seen through the power of the Holy Preisthood. I have seen 24 week fetuses live, when they should have returned to Father, through the Faith of the parents, staff, and through the Authority of the Preisthood. There is no other force in the world that can flow through the room, and penetrate souls, as the Spirit of the Almighty. When a Father, or grandfather or friend or even staff member places their fingertips on these tiny Infants, and calls forth the Power of God to sustain, and hold these children, the feelings of warmth, and of assurance flow like wildfire. Procedures that must be done are more clear, peace abounds when chaos circulates the room. Spirits connect, and God ministers. How I wish everyone could feel it and be there for it. I am grateful for the oppertunity to be here. On a more mortal plane, I am finally comming to understand the physiology of an infant, and recognize subtle changes that can show when they are stressed, weak, sick, in pain, or just flat tired. It is rewarding to see them grow, and be able to go home with parents and families. Believe it or not, I have even become a decent Lactation educator, as we do have to teach proper breastfeeding stratagies, and techniques. Some might find it funny or weird to think that I am attending a "Lactation Specialist" training in November to train me better in the ways of breatsfeeding. I mean come on, I am a guy, when am I EVER going to have personal experience doing it? Yet, moms look to me as a Nurse for guidance, so I have to learn and be proficient at teaching it. All in all I think I have found where I want to be in my profession. I really think I will continue on to finish my Nurse Practitioner, and probably specialize in Neonatology. Like I said in the beginning, this has and continues to be a wonderful experience. Now enough of me.
Steph is doing awesome. She is such an amazing woman. She has supported me through school, Bore and raised two children, and is now pregnant with our Third. We are expecting our little girl to enter the world on the 26th of December. Steph must have a C-Section due to complications that arose from our last pregnancy, so it is already scheduled. Steph continues to run on the Ambulance, despite continuing controversy over the fact that she is pregnant, and still risking her life to help others. She also works from home for Classic Surfaces, a granite and solid surface countertop company, doing secretarial, billing, and payroll work for them. We have been blessed by their generosity to allow her to stay home and raise our children, while still working, and supporting us. Now it is really my turn to support her. Starting in January, and depending on how she feels of course, in addition to her jobs she plans to resume her education and finish her degree. Overall I don't think she knows what she wants to do yet, but she comments on obtaining a Nursing Degree. She has a long road ahead, but I know whe has the ability and willpower to do it. Wish her luck in her endeavors, and please support her in her decision, if you see or talk to her about it.
Lastly, Jonathan Tyler, and Kayleigh Marie are doing exceptionally well. Jonathan is a little whirlwind of energy, and Kayleigh is a Spitfire. Both have their own challenges to deal with. I am honored that they chose to come to our family, and I hope that I will do them Justice as a father. They teach Steph and I about life everyday. We are thankful for the chance we have had, and are grateful for the opportunity.
May the Lord God be with you, our friends, this week and always.
Jake

1 comment:

Jen and Ty said...

I will attest to the fact that Jonathon is a bundle of energy. He is awesome and is obviously very proud of his dad. All he talks about, everytime I visit, is his dad and how cool he is. Great post Jake.