About a month ago My (Jake) Parents bought Kayleigh a "big girl" bed. Of course they were doing what grandparents do best, getting their grandkids everything they feel they need. I love my parents and don't want them to feel that this is in ANY way their fault. Jessica has been an absolute pill the last few days..... Clingy, awnry, refusing to eat, gnawing on EVERYTHING..so of course what do we as parents think??? Teething...of course... So, we treat it with tylenol, and kind of just ignore the overall anoyance of the rest of the described behaviors. Today steph called me at work wondering if their could be something wrong with her arm. I guess a few days back, Jess had climbed onto Kayleigh's bed and fell off.......well funny thing, this is almost exactly the time when she became the child from you_know_where. Today steph was playing with the girls, and noticed that she was favoring her right arm.... no biggie....then she started watching her, when her brother and sister would get near, she would guard her arm, raise it in the air when she fell down,clench her fist when climbing on things. So, when I get home from work, i start feeling her arms... sure enough when I squeezed her right wrist, she FREAKED. Screaming uncontrollably, guarding her arm, clawing my face off with her razor sharp fingernails (which I swear she sits in her bed and sharpens every night after we go to bed). So,I pick her up and take her to the instacare. Some might ask why I might take my daughter instead of her mom... Have any of you ever taken a child to a medical facility and told them you think they might have "broke their arm by falling off the bed"? As a health care provider I can promise you the first thing I think is "CHILD ABUSE". I love my wife, I love how much she cares, and frankly I love her WAY too much to have her be grilled and accused by doctors, nurses, and social workers. Which is EXACTLY what I figured was going to happen. So we get to the clinic, and sure enough, the unit clerk starts in... then we get to the room, and the nurse, bless her heart, again starts asking the questions, then the good ol doc, who walks in takes one look at this hulking guy, and he turns right back around and says "how did she hurt it again?? We'll get xray in in just a minute and we'll go from there, and walks out again. Okay... now I am sweating.... People dont know how it feels to be a big guy and AUTOMATICALLY profiled as a potential abuser. Luckily, when the xrays came back with a buckle fracture, not a green stick, which basically means it was caused from a hard hit to the top of her bone( usually caused from falling and trying to catch oneself) the bone buckles on top of itself kind of like a can does when crushed. Man the entire mood changed at that point. The nurse was nice to me, the doctor was cordial, explaining the fracture, the clerk brought in stickers for her... WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY NOW>>>>>> SO there we have it, Our first broken bone is NOT the rambunctious 5 year old boy, NOT the clumsy three year old; No, it is our Monkey, the psychotic one year old that can climb faster than ANY child I have ever seen to the top of ANYTHING in less time than it takes to say her name. Enjoy the Pics!!
How to Decorate Your Home with Canvas Prints
3 years ago

9 comments:
I'll pray your luck changes for the better!! We have all had those every-thing-going-wrong kind of times, it turns around eventually. Sorry you had to be grilled at the dr.
Poor girl...your girls look so much alike!
oh dang, it was hard for me not to laugh at the way you guys just wrote that story hahaha but that is so sad she had to deal with a broken arm for a few days before getting it in a cast! poor girl!!
OHHHHH Poor girl!!! Sorry you had to go through that Jake! That was very nice of you to take a hit for the team though!! Hey at least her sling is cute!! :)
Oh how that brings back memories! My almost 10-year-old broke her arm in just the same way when she was only 14 months old!! She and her brother were jumping off our bed which was a mere 2 ft of the ground onto a bunch of pillows. What could go wrong?
She had the exact same type of fracture as well!
The pics of her with her little arm all wrapped up is just too adorable. Unfortunately, I did not mark our occasion with pictures like you have. You will look back on those one day with huge smiles and lots of giggles! I know we do now when we think of it!
And thanks for keeping up with things. I am actually up now simply from inability to sleep over my heart aching so badly for my friend PJ. So thank you for your kind words and encouragement! It means the world.
That is so sad. But you do know that is how it works it's always the one you least expect to get hurt the worst. Sometimes I hate people in the medical field ( no offense Jake) but they do start with the questions I have had them plenty of times.
That is too bad. I bet it drives her crazy. She is adorable.
Oh, I can only imagine how I would feel in that situation, especially with the drs grilling you. Actually, the minute I read that you (Jake) were taking her in instead of Stephanie, I thought you would get the 3rd degree. I'm glad everyone's okay, and isn't she dang cute in that cast!!
Poor Jess! I'm glad you finally figured out that something was wrong though, it's so hard when they're so little and can't really tell you.
Chloe had a buckle fracture on her right wrist last spring. Oh childhood.
Post a Comment